Thursday, August 19, 2010

Restless Leg Syndrome

(Repost from my Multiply site)

There I was, ready to take a slumber, when out of nowhere came this overwhelming feeling to move my legs. And the more I tried to relax, I even tried to use imagery, the more uncomfortable it got. I started moving my legs back and forth. But the gentle moving could not do any good. As the desire to move became intolerable, I decided to just get up and let it take over my sleepiness.

I don't remember when I first felt these creepy, crawly , uncomfortable and very unfamiliar feelings on my legs, usually when I'm trying to fall asleep. I know that it had, on several occasions, drove me to tears because of frustration. In 2003, I finally learned that other people also suffer from the same symptoms, and that it a legitimate clinical diagnosis -
Restless Leg Syndrome or RLS.

To date, there aren't any definitive knowledge as to what
causes RLS, however researches have shown that it actually runs in families. That's probably why I have always been told that I am like my maternal grandmother who likes to wiggle her legs when she's trying to sleep. RLS have also been found to be associated with anemia, especially iron deficiency anemia, which I have. Maybe I need to get my bloodwork done again and see if my iron level is low. Thyroid disorders are also found to be associated with RLS....another tickmark on my checklist. Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), dialysis and pregnancy can also initiate or worsen the symptoms.....at least I don't have to worry about those....

RLS usually start to manifest when a person has to lay still or a period of inactivity, like when trying to sleep, during sleep
, or during long travels/ flights, among others.

There are two approved medications for RLS so far (Mirapex and Requip) and both are actually for treatment of Parkinson's disease which makes sense because they are both (RLS and Parkinson's) classified as a "movement disorders", aside from also being both
neurologic in nature. Other medications that have worked for treating the symptoms of RLS are sedatives and pain relievers.... literally force you to sleep. Per my experience, the best way to beat RLS is to MOVE!

So here I am, awake at 3:59 and writing about RLS (and wiggling my legs vigorously), in case other people who suffer the same symptoms don't know yet that it is a condition worthy of a medical diagnosis and not just a figment of imagination.

No comments: